VERY Mini Gingerbread Cupcakes

November 03, 2015

When it comes to afternoon teas with friends or family I will never turn one down. It's a chance to get together and talk and most of the time, a chance for me to bake some sweet treats!

Today I made these delicious Gingerbread cupcakes with lemon icing which could be one of my all-time favourite recipes. I know that there are people out there that don't like ginger but I do and combined with the golden syrup it makes these super moist cupcakes that are the greatest!

I decided today to make them as mini cupcakes (like cupcakes aren't small enough anyway!). I had some left over tiny paper cases and thought it would be a great idea. Sadly, I was wrong as while the cupcakes came out fine, there was more stuck to the paper cases than there was actual cupcake...

Well, lesson learned!

That being said I will give the cooking time for both the smaller ones that I made (because I have made smaller ones that weren't this tiny that worked fine before) and the time normal (larger) ones.

This recipe is an adaptation from a recipe in 'cupcakes' by Susannah Blake. Good book, go check it out!

For the cupcakes you will need;

60g butter
50g soft brown sugar
4 tbl golden syrup or 2 tbl golden syrup and 2 tbl black treacle
1 tsp ground ginger
80ml milk
1 egg
115g self-raising flour

Preheat the oven to 170°C and line either a single muffin tin as the recipe usually makes about 12 or 3-4 mini cupcake tins with paper cases. It is probably easier to do the mini ones in batches because they most likely won't all fit in your oven at once.

In a saucepan put butter, sugar, golden syrup (and treacle) and ground ginger and heat gently until melted. Remove from heat and stir in milk, then beat in the egg.

Sift flour into the mixture and fold in. Using a teaspoon, spoon into cases filling to at least 3/4.

Bake for 10-15 minutes for mini or 20 minutes for regular or until risen and a skewer when inserted comes out clean.
Transfer onto a wire rack to cool whilst you prepare the icing.

I have to confess that I was in a bit of a hurry when I baked these so that when I was making up the icing I made it up bit by bit as I needed it so that I don't actually know the exact proportions I used but I did base it off this recipe. Which I usually use.

You'll need;

2tbl lemon juice
200g icing sugar

Pour lemon juice into a bowl and gradually add icing sugar stirring as you go until you have a smooth, think and spoonable consistency. Spoon over the cakes or as I did place in a piping instrument and sort of pipe it over cupcakes. If you do this though, don't expect it to keep any shape.

And there you have it! Yum!


If you do bake these I would love to see how they turned out so tweet me a picture and if you have any questions let me know in the comments and I'll get right back to you.

Happy Baking!

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe